<![CDATA[The cycling photographer - Blog]]>Sun, 15 Nov 2015 15:49:08 -0800Weebly<![CDATA[Finishing off in South AFrica]]>Sat, 27 Jun 2015 00:36:14 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/finishing-off-in-south-africaWhile crossing the bridge across the Orange River into South Africa I couldn’t quite believe that I had actually made it to South Africa. The border crossing went smoothly and soon was I climbing away from the river. An officer had told me that there are still places before Steinkopf to get water, but this turned out to be false info. I still can’t understand why Africans give you an answer anyway, even if they don’t know. It got dark and I was running out of water, so I tried stopping a car.  A truck did and I camped in a small dry river out of sight.

If I look at all the pictures from the first days, I only see my camp spots. This is an awful sign for how boring and uneventful this road (the N7) was. I took half a rest day in Springbok to sort out the usual stuff: sim-card and money. The Namibian dollar is connected to the South African Rand therefore it’s exchanged 1:1.

The Southeaster wind was blowing slowing down my progress on the hilly N7. So again, I only reached the next town after sunset. I met a group of mountainbikers at the camping in Kamieskroon and before I had set up camp, they had already bought me three beers. The bottom line was that cycling just felt like work. Like another day at the office. But the South-African generosity and hospitality made up for it.

After almost one year on the road, I started feeling unmotivated to get up in the morning, to pack all my stuff once again, often saying “same shit, different day”. It’s then just a matter of seeing the bigger picture. To see that cycling from Belgium to South Africa is quite a trip and that it was now time to finish it in beauty. “So get a move on son!”

So back on the road, for more headwind and hills. Oh, the Ipod was working overtime. Btw that thing was given to me by my cousin when I left for my Asia trip 4 years ago. He told me it would possibly fail working in the beginning of the trip, but now after crossing 45 countries with it, it’s still going strong.

I met two British guys on the road. One of them had just flown out to Cape Town, got the idea to do a bike trip and had assembled gear and bike there. They were now cycling to Uganda. Oh, guess how jealous I was that they were with two. To have someone to talk to, to kill time and to fight headwind with. Cycling Asia on your own is fine, but Africa is a different story.

After Nuwerus I finally left the mainroad and a couple of hills later, I saw the Atlantic again since Congo Brazza. In the middle of nowhere I met Niko, an Argentinian cyclist. We rode back to a village to camp together. He had been on the road for 2.5 years and was now cycling up the west-coast to Europe. With his long journey ahead, I swapped my best tire and heavy-duty inner tubes with him.

He also told me to follow the railway along the service road. This was a golden tip as the tar road took many detours. A couple of days further along the nice coastline, I got to Langebaan where I could stay in the house of Wesley and Carolin, whom I had met a couple of times on the road in Namibia.

I was just a single day away from Cape Town now. I couldn’t believe it. That last day, I didn’t stop smiling a single second. Apart from when I saw Table Mountain for the first time, because it was much more impressive then I had imagined.

Arriving at Green Elephant backpackers, it was time for a beer I reckon!

Cape Town, at the foot of Table Mountain, has an amazing setting. But in the end it’s just as any other capital. Busy and loud. But 20mins and you are out of the city and into the mountains.

Lara, a Belgian friend, came over and we traveled together for two weeks around the Cape Peninsula. She wasn’t used to cycling, but did a great job and even managed to enjoy it. Imagine! ;)

First to Hout Bay where we stayed with Daryll and Naomi, whom I had met with the group of mountainbikers in Kamieskroon, in the beginning of South Africa. We strolled around Hout Bay and visited Seal Island. It being Mother’s day, there was a lovely atmosphere hanging around.

Of course I was thinking of home, of my mother. I had actually left on the day after mother’s day last year, so it was now exactly one year. I now know I will be in Belgium for more than a year upon return to follow a carpentry course, so I’ll have lots of time to make it up to her.  

Then to Kommetjie where we stayed with Darryl’s father for a day and then onwards to Cape Point.

Arriving at the Cape of Good Hope was quite emotional. I had suffered so much to get here. Every country had brought its challenges and I had never believed I would actually make it. Thinking of the heat and killing mosquitoes in West-Africa, to Ebola and the closing borders as a result, to ridiculously hilly Gabon only to get stuck in Congo Brazza with a visa about to expire, and no way to go. Then DRC with rainy season and an impassible road so another flight. All hard decisions, made only after a lot of contemplating. Off-road in Zambia with big rocks and worst food, extremely boring Botswana, soft gravel roads in Namibia and headwind all the way to Cape Town. When stuck in Congo Brazza I was actually looking for a flight back home. Now, I am so glad I didn’t.

Just the desire to explore new corners of the globe makes me willing to suffer a great deal. In the end it all comes down to mind over matter. Not to see limits and boundaries where most would. To try. To just go all the way for it. To just do it. And then to succeed in the end, well it felt very sweet. Motionless, I watched the ocean thinking of the hardship I went through to get here. Was it worth it? Oh yes. While looking at the power of the ocean, I felt strong, just like the thundering waves. Now this may all sound very cheesy, but don’t get me wrong. Cycling Africa is not an enjoyable holiday. Nothing is straightforward. It takes a lot of effort to get through and the bad food doesn’t rejuvenates you. Cycling Africa is a challenge. I'm not saying it's an expedition. It's not like pulling a 200kg sledge across Antarctica to the South Pole. It’s just an adventurous travel.

For a young guy like me, I think facing a challenge is essential to ones development. To leave your comfort zone. To just get all the way out there. To get to know you boundaries and to know you can go even much further. Everything is possible. If you want it, you can get it. Many people tell me they also want to make a big trip, that they are jealous on what I do. Well, then just get off your ass and do it! I find it hard to understand why people in the end never get to do what they were telling, dreaming off.

Regret piles up around us like books we haven’t read yet. This trip made me deal with regret. Traveling is about finding your own way, your own interests. Advertisement flyers about game parks, shark cage diving, bungee jumping,… in a way created some regret that I hadn’t gotten everything out of this trip. There is so much distraction around us creating regret if we don’t buy or do something. Traveling is about getting to know your priorities. To not feel bad about doing stuff in a different way. To follow your feeling. If you feel good in a place, then why would you leave? If you love someone, then why would you take the road?

I noticed during my travels in the last years, that my way of traveling is ever changing. If I had the knowledge I have now in the beginning of my trip, I would have had a very different trip.  This is a very normal thing I think and one shouldn’t feel bad about it. Only excited about the next trip!

For a first visit to Africa, it was a long and extensive one. The slight transition from getting used to the cycling in Europe to Morocco where you can’t trust everybody, to black and primitive black Africa.

If you are loud, they are loud, if you are quiet, they are too. I learned not to be shy. Make a remark, and make it with confidence. Anything you say breaks the ice.

The last three weeks of my trip can be defined with thinking that you have a lot of time, then not planning much and before you know it, it’s time to go home.

I cycled along the coast to Cape Agulhas. On the way I passed Hermanus and while cycling out of town, I passed a Belgian waffles, beer and burger place. No wonder I sticked around for 3 days! It was fun working there a bit. They were busy renovating the kitchen and bar, and it was great to help out a bit, to do something real.

From September onwards you can see lots of whales here, real pity I couldn’t see this spectacle yet!

I met Sara, a Canadian cyclist that came riding from Kenya in the last three months. Now say again that girls can’t travel on their own in Africa!

At the end of the tar, we camped in the dunes. We were now only one day away from Cape Agulhas, the Southernmost point of Africa.

Winter was coming which meant lots of rain starting. Therefore we were now mostly staying in backpackers where a dorm bed was just slightly blowing the budget.

We met a guy there that ended up giving us a ride to Montagu, along the route 62. It seemed like a good idea, but with the rainy days, cycling wasn't very enjoyable. Probably because I forgot my rainjacket in Agulhas...

It was rainy, hilly and slow. The promised scenery along the Route 62 didn't show up and shitholes like Barrydale didn't get the mood up. Sara was actually raising money and still had to cycle a lot to fulfill her promise. I should just have stayed in the backpackers in Agulhas to write the blog etc. instead of cycling in the rain, even after already finishing my trip.

We cut back to the coast, now being in the stunning area of the Garden Route. I went into the mountains on my own, cycling the seven passes road. I passed a project where they teach skills to youth and was really intrigued by it. After meeting a friend in Knysna, I decided to go back there and finish my last week in South Africa by volunteering there.

At the Kula Malaika foundation Watson and Monica give workshops to young people in order to teach them skills. I ended up fixing up the cottage where the volunteers stay. Apart from that, Tiger and I finished off the dining room next to the kitchen so everybody could now lunch together.

I didn't saw white sharks or went sky diving, but the work gave me a great confirmation that my plan to become a carpenter when back in Belgium was the right one.


I then cycled to George, got a cardboard box to pack the bike in, waited for 3 hours and took a 17hour bus to Johannesburg. Once there, I took a taxi to the airport where, after waiting for 8 hours, I flew to Frankfurt, Germany. South African Airways is a bit more expensive, but you can take sports equipment for free.

I didn't sleep much on the plane so I got to Frankfurt rather tired. I assembled the bike and found it great to pass customs with a fully loaded touring bike :) I then set out to Petra and Frank, a lovely couple that gave me a lift in Namibia. Always cool to see people again in a different part of the world! I stayed there a day to rest a bit.

I planned to cycle in four days home, covering about 150kms a day. But I didn't count on having a headwind!

Anyway, I quickly got to the Rhein river where I met friendly cyclists that let me get in their slipstream. After Koblenz, I had a long day of 175km to Vaals, just over the border in the Netherlands. I met Jack, a Welsh cyclist, on the road and we camped together.

Then along the boring Albert Canal to Antwerp. It was another long day, but seeing my aunt and family again was great!

Then a final push towards Ghent and Bruges. Arriving home was very emotional, because every time I had a hard time during my trip I was thinking of home, of my mum, my dog,... And seeing them again, made all of this come back.

I've been back for a week now, and I'm slowly adapting again to Belgian life. I know it will take some time to reflect on my journey, to find my way here again, so I'll write more later.

<![CDATA[Namibia, a beautiful but tough bitch]]>Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:04:03 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/namibia-a-beautiful-but-tough-bitchFotoWith friends at Windhoek
When I finally got to Windhoek after crossing the boring Kalahari, I felt exhausted and both me and the gear were in need of some recovery. It being Good Friday, all the shops were closed which forced me to take a long break. And for the better, because if not, I would have been on the bike again after two days or so. Now, I was enjoying one braai (BBQ) after the other and countless beers with new-made friends. One of them, Ben from Germany, had ridden his motorbike for 24.000 km through Africa and I helped him packing it to ship back.

The camera and laptop charger were broken and I needed some bicycle spares. The Brooks saddle was now so out of shape that I was not sitting upright on the bicycle and that I had a lot of irritation. This was actually already a problem since day 1, because the B17 standard is too wide for the 8 cm drop I have between the saddle and the handlebars. Oh well! It got me to Namibia! Leon from Cycles Wholesale sorted me out with a narrow mtb saddle and was very generous charging me close to nothing for it. Apart from that, the front derailleur had given me problems since West Africa. It was now finally changed with a new one making me not have to kick it anymore to change to the smallest chainring.

Then time to hit the road! There was about 1.000 km of dirt road awaiting. 5 km out of Windhoek the tar ended and the first 200 km went over good gravel roads going over the Spreetshoogte pass to Solitaire. A slight tailwind was helping me cross the endless road with superb vistas. 

Not knowing what to expect, I was carrying 10l of water, 1kg of oats and food for 2 days. When I was just about to wildcamp the first day, I saw a farm laying a bit in the distance. Two workers on horses got to the gate at the same time and I explained in Flemish/Afrikaans that I was looking for a place to pitch my tent. They went to ask “meneer” who obviously accepted me.

Then the most exciting part of Namibia started: the wildlife. An oryx suddenly appeared on the road. It being scared of a fully loaded bicycle, it ran along the road, on the wrong side of the fence, and it took a big effort to overtake it. The first of many bicycle – Oryx races.

I pass the Tropic of Capricorn during a heavy rain shower. There being absolutely no shelter, I just put some music in, put a smile on and continued cycling. Also when reaching the Spreetshoogte pass, the rain was so bad that one could only see for 20m. I knew the view was worth it, so I waited the rain out while sheltering next to a rock. And then! The view slowly appeared and the transition was fascinating. Water was vaporizing, the sun was slowly getting through the clouds and the Namib Naukluft desert made it’s appearance creating a very diverse landscape. So nice, I camped just a bit down the steep downhill. By constantly braking though, the rim heated up making the bad-quality inner tubes burst.

Waking up to such a worldclass view is not bad, but I saw I had failed to repair the puncture. The second attempt failed as well and I didn’t even want to check if the 3rd would last. 500m down the road, the same thing happened again. With the heat from the rim, the patch came off. After another fix, I walked down the rest of the 15% downhill. 1km later, again. 10km later, again. 7km later, again. After most of the repairs and after strapping all of the luggage back on, it would deflate again. What caused it were bad, Chinese quality, inner tubes and patches, a broken valve and a difficult to patch hole at the side of the rim.

After one year in Africa I learned to stay calm at all times and not to get frustrated. But it was starting to get ridiculous and by now I was running out of water and food. Every 30 mins or so, a car passed and I ended hitching a ride to Solitaire, 10km down the road.

Namibia offers some world-class scenery and spectacles so it’s no wonder that there are relatively a lot of tourists. Let’s say 80% of the cars passing were tourists, so it was never difficult to stop a car and ask for water or to hitch a ride.

Being the first town after Windhoek, one would expect Solitaire being a reasonable sized town, but there are about 50 people living there! There is a campsite, restaurant, shop, bakery, petrol station and tire boot. That’s it.

One of them was mtb’ing and sold me “slime” to put in the tire which would seal the tire. Belgian travellers at the campsite invited me over for a braai and beer and helped me fix it with their compressor. But the valve being broken, it failed and when the spanner also snapped of the front wheel, it was sure I had to hitchhike back to Windhoek.

That wasn’t too bad, because my friends were still there and hitchhiking turned out to be very easy.

Once back in Solitaire, I mounted the 4mm thick “thorn resistent” inner tubes that I had bought together with a new mtb front tire to cope with the soft gravel.

I woke up with a sore back though and cycling was fine, but it was very painful to stretch it after cycling.  While having lunch under a tree, a car stopped spontaneously to give me a cold beer. I asked randomly if one of them was a physiotherapist and we all cracked up when one of them said “yes!”. She had a look at my back, said it was probably a problem with a muscle and gave me some exercises. Cycling was still fine, but dragging it through sand was very painful. I was just hoping it would heal itself.  

I got to Sesriem which acts as the base to Sossusvlei and was again invited for dinner and beer. One could wildcamp in Namibia to save money, but during the day, you don’t meet anyone so staying at a campsite and getting invited all the time is very very nice. I also joined the group that hosted me in their safari vehicle to visit Sossusvlei.

Everyone was struggling to pack their tents as the wind was blowing with an incredible power. When facing it head-on and pushing hard, I was going 6km/h. The average that day was 11. Just another loooooong day in the saddle…

It was 150 km to Betta, the next ‘village’. I crossed a beautiful nature reserve and could camp at the warden’s house. The fake flat road across the valley was 30km and took ages. While thinking of enjoying my favorite drink at home, I felt emotional. It was obvious that I was running low on moral.

It took two long days to reach Betta and it was very hard work to plough through the soft gravel roads with strong wind slowing me down. After being on the road for so long, I actually broke at one stage being very homesick. What the hell am I doing here?

At the camping I met a German couple that offered to give me a ride over another 100km of soft dirt with many sandy sections. I gladly accepted. Like this my route also changed a bit and I ended up going to Aus. The road going straight south towards Rosh Pinah, I was now only at a couple of days from South Africa! I was so excited to be back on the tar that I continued a bit after sunset. To camp, I put the bike over the fence, went 200m off the road and pitched the tent. With the winter slowly approaching, I had to wear everything I had at night.

Next day was very uneventful on the tar main road and the 170 km left to Roshpinah were a bit too much for one day. After dark, I passed a farm where I saw light burning. Asked to pitch the tent, but he would have none of that. Instead, he showed me the hunters room to stay in, where to take a hot shower, put a cold beer in my hand and invited me for lamb poitjie and told me to stay for as long as I wanted. His wife washed my clothes, we visited the mine where he worked and we had an amazing braai. Such hospitality!

Totally rejuvenated I was ready for the last stretch of Namibia along the stunning Orange River. A river with water in! That had been quite a while. I met Wesley and Carolin with their baby Josh again (they had stopped earlier to give me water and food) on the road and they invited me to come camp with them at Aussenkehr. Again, I arrived at dark, but the steak that they had prepared definitely made up for it.

Then to Noordoewer, to cross the border to South Africa! How exciting to be in the final country of my trip!


<![CDATA[Trans Kalahari]]>Mon, 06 Apr 2015 12:24:47 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/trans-kalahariWith not much to see in Bulawayo I spent a day there fixing up Sombat’s bicycle and planning the next stage to Maun, the main entrance to the Okavango delta in Botswana.

After shopping for some groceries I met Mike, a Zimbabwean bike mechanic that had actually been helping the Flemish cycling legend Roger de Vlaeminck when he came to Zimbabwe to search for some cycling talent. The TV-show broadcasting it was called “Allé, allé, Zimbabwe”, but I had totally forgotten about it.

I got to Matopos national park where I was getting information whether or not it was possible to cross it on a bicycle. At the same time mountain bikers were arriving to make their weekly saterday tour through the park. Them taking some singletracks instead of the tar road, I was very happy to leave my luggage at the gate and to join them for a 40 km ride. Very exciting! I obviously could have used some disc brakes and suspension, but it was fine.

The mountainbikers told me to use a dirt road for 15 km to get back on the main road to Plumtree. I saw a wildebeest, a pack of giraffes and huge white vulchers. Super exciting to see these in the wild! But with so much wildlife around, there had to be predators around too, so I didn’t feel comfortable to be honest with you. There were no people around to ask again, but I saw another bicycle track and footsteps, so I guess it was just me acting like a city-boy. And indeed, when hitting the tar road again, I asked about lions, but there was nothing here.

The border crossing was super easy and for the first time I didn’t had to pay for the visa. I already got warned that people in Botswana were more arrogant and it soon became obvious with the immigration officers. The lady didn’t reach out to get my passport and I almost had to put my cheek against the glass to hand it over. But when she got to hear about the cycling, her mood changed and she was now exclaiming all the details about my ‘crazy’ trip to her colleagues.

I took the shortcut to Masunga missing out on Francistown. What amazed me was the high life standard that people had here compared to Zimbabweans. Nice villas and many cars, there definitely was a broad middle class here. The evening fell and I rang the bell of a random villa. First test for hospitality: I got to sleep in a bed, take a hot bath and have a great dinner and breakfast. I was gonna like Botswana!

First I went through small hills with cool boulders, but the Kalahari was waiting…

At Sibena I was close to getting on the main road to Nata. Due to the heat, a puncture patch came off, I fixed it, but asked someone to put it on pressure for which he asked me 20 Pula (2 USD). Then people diverted me to Tutume, saying it’s the shortcut to Nata, which it obviously wasn’t. Turned out that Botswana was the first country I started saying “fuck you” to people. Maybe it weren’t only the people making me say that, maybe it was just me being too tired to explain again and again why I couldn’t by them a beer, or why he had to blow my tires for free cause I came cycling from Belgium and he should somehow respect that. Normally I have endless patience to explain that I don’t have a job myself etc., but I really did felt tired. More than normally I would “hit the wall”, being completely empty. By now I had covered more than 17.000 km without taking a proper rest. I felt that it was really difficult to eat properly and have good energy for cycling. And the Kalahari was still waiting… If only I could get to Maun I thought.

After 4pm my stomach would settle a bit and I would do another 40km. I reached Motsetse, on the main road to Nata, when it got dark, but having a cold beer was worth it. I pitched my tent behind the bar, but the guard forgot to tell me that he had to leave and close everything off at 5am. Well at least I was on the bike early morning…

I reached Nata at 10 am, but I felt exhausted. I knew I had to eat a lot, but I couldn’t. Was it the heat? I don’t know, should be used to it by now, no? I packed some lunch which I forced myself to eat when I hit the wall again. “Take it easy bro”, is what I told myself. No need to be racing through the Kalahari if you don’t have energy.

Anyway, I carried on, not pushing it too hard so I wouldn’t burn too much energy. The road was incredibly uneventful and progress was slow due to a slight headwind. I just managed to reach Gweta in the evening and the “refreshing pool” sign from the Planet Baobab lodge made me go there. As usual, I bargained a bit and after explaining my trip to the manager she said that I needed a really good rest and offered me a free hut! The place was absolutely amazing and the pool indeed refreshing! I soon forgot about the long day.

There were not many places in between, let’s say every 80 km or so. When I finally reached them I was struck by indifference from the shopkeepers. I had to make big efforts to get there and, them not caring about me, I felt somewhat alone. They all seemed to be so lazy. In most shops people were sleeping, so you would have to wake them up, haha! They would exclaim: “Oh, I’m so tired today!” And I would obviously be thinking if they also had been cycling all day. Whatever, Maun was getting closer and I knew I would see John, the British motorbiker I had already met five times during this trip, again.

The last 100 km to get there took all day and I just couldn’t believe how slow progress was and how much effort it took to get there. At the only place in between, a police checkpoint, I sticked around for a long time trying to get some extra energy. When I walked up to the police camp to refill one bottle of water, I was struck by two very aggressive police officers who refused to give me water. Can you believe that!? One of them had such a flat nose, that I’m sure he had gotten in some serious fights already. By then I had already said ten times that I was cycling, which should have made it obvious that I really need water. “The water was police property and was brought to them by truck.” 10.000 liters of it! They told me I had to buy the small 0.5l bottles that woman were selling there for almost 1 USD. Actually, the flat-nose guy didn’t tell me. It was more like “You listen to me very clearly, move!!!” Like Congo-style aggressiveness. Well, fuck you Botswana! I made a big thing out of it. How bad the police here were and how they should help me out. With many people around, they didn’t like the bad advertisement and they shouted me over again, now to tell me I could take as much water as I wanted. Being close to suffering to cover some distance and then not being appreciated by people made me not enjoying the cycling, which is such a pity really. The last desert, the Sahara, was so much fun! With a tailwind I was just absolutely flying there.

Anyway, I reached Maun where I probably acted like a small boy in a toy store when I got to the supermarket. I ended up visiting nothing around Maun because it was very expensive, but mostly because I only cared about going to the supermarket to feed myself and to get strong again. Seeing John again was absolutely splendid and I look at him as my travelling dad now.

The road turned to the Southwest and I was now finally having some tailwind! A 170 and 240 km day resulted from that before it started pouring rain and the headwind came up again.

Last night in Botswana I camped just before the border to then have one of the easiest border crossings of my trip into Namibia, the 19th country. 300 km lasted till Windhoek, where I was looking forward to a proper break.

I got to Gobabis where I asked a white Namibian guy if there was a bank to change my Pula’s. The banks being closed, he then just invited me to stay with them! How nice! We had a braai (barbeque) together, had a couple of beers, went out and I found some clean clothes when we got back J

The road got really busy though! This time there was no hard shoulder and cars were absolutely flying passed me. A mirror is a must! If there was oncoming traffic, I sometimes rode in the middle of the road, so cars would have to slow down. Otherwise they would just force themselves between me and the oncoming car…going 140km/h! Every time there was a truck, I left the road though.

I spent a last night camping at a small dairy farm. The sky cleared up, and the beautiful hills that surround Windhoek made their appearance. I had done it! Time for a rest and a dip in the pool!

It being Good Friday, all the shops were closed though. The camera and laptop charger were broken and I needed some bicycle spares. The Brooks saddle was now so out of shape that I was not sitting upright on the bicycle and that I had a lot of irritation. This was actually already a problem since day 1, cause the B17 standard is too wide for the 8 cm drop I have between the saddle and the handlebars. Oh well! It got me to Namibia! The holidays were actually really good for me cause it forced me to take a proper break after being on the road for so long.

Next stage: 1000 km off-road passing Sossusvlei. Looking forward to that! And with all the good food here, I’m sure that I’ll be back up and running as before.


<![CDATA[From Zam to Zim (2), from off-road adventure to boring main road]]>Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:55:23 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/from-zam-to-zim-2-from-off-road-adventure-to-boring-main-road There was a German cyclist heading the same way so we left together. Klaus originally didn’t plan to cycle, but got a cheap 2nd hand bike in Namibia and had made a tour to Mozambique, now heading back to South Africa. His specialty and pride was his wood stove made from cans. And I have to say, it was pretty cool! In the two days that we cycled together, he made the nicest meals including a fresh bread! He only intended to cycle about 50 km a day and spend the rest of the time cooking. After losing my stove in Ghana, I had now bought a gas stove in Lusaka. So his recipes were very useful.

After two days, he continued on the main road to Livingstone and I took a small road direction Lake Kariba to use small dirt roads to get there. A 5 day off-road adventure would begin…

I left all traffic and especially all the big trucks behind and was now roughing it uphill threw stunning hills. After crossing this ‘mountain’ range, I took the bottom road which kinda follows the edge of Lake Kariba (unfortunately you don’t get to see the lake very often).

As usual I went up to a family when the sun set to ask if I could pitch up my tent somewhere. Although her husband wasn’t home yet, she accepted me and I installed myself for the night. Women are definitely more emancipated here. Mothers often come up to me to shake my hand and have a small chat. I found their compounds intriguing with space to stock the maize high of the ground, small houses for the goats and chickens, a fence to keep the cows and nicely made huts or a house from clay bricks for themselves. Having cows to pull the plough, they were cultivating quite big lands and the agriculture seemed more developed then for example Congo Brazza.

Rolling hills kept coming and during one of the climbs I was looking at some people in the distance before taking my focus back to the track. I saw a branch and when I was just about to cycle over it, I realized it was a snake! I rolled a bit back and took the camera out. It was definitely alive, and it surprised me that it was just laying there. Normally they’re gone before you can see them. I told two men that there was a small snake there so they came over. They told me it’s a green mamba and with kids around, they didn’t hesitate to pick up a rock to kill it.

I continued the road, up and down, across small rivers and through small villages. The hills were steep and with a bad, rocky road it was taking a lot of energy to summit them. The Nshima (doug made from maize flour) turned out to have no energy and I felt constantly hungry. Luckily I now had a stove and cooked pasta to continue my journey.

I missed the turn-off for the bottom road heading west and had to cycle back ten km’s. The intersection turned out to be marked with a big baobab in which was carved ‘signpost’... haha! The road was so small you would never believe this was actually going somewhere, so easy to miss.

It was often not easy to see clearly which was the main road at intersections so I would walk up to a family to ask. Being afraid of the white guy with the strange bicycle suddenly walking towards them, the kids tended to run away and hide. Luckily there was always one brave mum to help me out in basic or no English. To be sure, I asked the son to come with me to the intersection to show me. Who needs GPS right? I had time and was in no hurry what so ever. Apart from that, as I said, I really enjoyed explaining my trip and talking to people who actually seemed to understand me and respected me for what I was doing. Here they call me a strong or big man, where as in Congo Brazza they call me ‘le petit’, the little one.

As I kept kicking ass on the bad roads, stubbornly not slowing down in the downhill, the Ortlieb rear panniers liked to come loose and even fly off. No way that I was going to slow down! I was absolutely loving life and the thrill of speeding down the bad track. So I tie-wrapped them to the carrier and could continue flying over the rocks and dips. Jihaaa!!! If a dip would unexpectedly show up, I just jump over with the front wheel, the rear panniers now firmly into place, the bike just follows. If I have a good speed/ momentum I just jump over it with the whole bicycle. Oh yeah, I had the best riding experience of the trip!

I imagined doing it with a mountainbike, because the steep hills kept being very exhausting with about of 30 kg of luggage holding it down. For three days I only did about 60 to 80 km, every day being exhausted as I was never before. Using the momentum after coming down, trying not to lose too much speed crossing the dry, rocky river to push it as hard as possible to get back up the other side. It didn’t only require energy, I also had to be very focused not to hit any rocks during climbing. Walking up some of them was inevitable.

The burning 35 – 40 degrees heat was a burden, but also a bliss because it meant the road was hard and the mud dried up. Where cows used the road too, it was extremely bumpy for this reason, but at least my energy was not getting lost trying to plough through mud.

Out of the hills, there were a lot of sandy sections. I would come down a hill only to get into loose sand and trying to keep the handlebars straight. Where it was just sand, it was very hard work to pull the bicycle through. With no wind cooling you down, the heat really gets you. Luckily, Zambians are cyclists too, so if there was a long, sandy section, they would make alternatives. Awesome to cruise down these single tracks threw the bush! They leave the main road for a bit, to get back to them after a while.

Alcohol seemed to destroy a lot here though. Even at 8 am they start drinking a local beer which is very cheap and quite strong. Leaving their fields, they don’t improve their lifestyle. Luckily they are all happy drunkards, ecstatic to see me and willing to pose for a photo shoot.

One of the worst drunkards was a nurse in charge of a local clinic. I could spend the night there and he brought a fan, so I wasn’t complaining.

Next morning I walk down to the lake and talk a long time to fishermen. The lake has plenty of crocodiles, but they tell me they have their way of dodging them…

People were always happy to see me which made taking photos easy. For example I would have a chat with the principal of the school, then to see a huge baobab tree and easily getting a dozen of pupils with me to pose in front of it.

Crossing this ‘mountain’ range back towards the north meant a bit more of walking again. A young guy just happened to watch and cheer for me when my shoe broke. He was very mature and understanding for his age and I ended up spending the night there. Instead of having just enough daylight to pitch up the tent, I could now join them to fetch water. After a lengthy walk I was surprised to find a dry river. They dig a hole and scoop up upcoming water from that. No wonder they were asking me for a waterpump.

In the morning I bring the young boy to school on the back of the bike (strong wheels!) to find both his fellow pupils and his teachers in awe. I tell them the story, see how the flag is raised and take the road. I pass many people who are on their way to try their luck in an open mine for mineral stones.

I now reach a plateau and with a slight tailwind it’s time to finish off the dirt road! Being relatively flat, I get into a good rhythm and end up doing 130 km of dirt road back to the main road Lusaka – Livingstone. 70 km to go on a perfect tar road. Next day I reach Livingstone before noon and can’t believe my eyes when I arrive at Jolly boys campsite and hostel. A pool, chill out zone, cold beer… After five days off-road I didn’t feel like leaving the place anytime soon. Klaus, the German cyclist, was there already and my Belgian friends were also soon to arrive!

I spend a couple of days going to the supermarket and feeding myself. But let’s not forget about the Victoria Falls. I seriously cannot believe my eyes when we get there. Even only the sound! The massive water flow falling over the edge makes for a heavy thunder before flying back up creating a water curtain. You definitely get wet! We wander around all the trails after which one of our group, Alf Martin from Norway, takes a bungee jump from the bridge 111m down to the Zambezi River.

A couple of days later, I crossed the same bridge to Zimbabwe. From Livingstone I had actually two options: Botswana or Zimbabwe. I had no idea what to expect from the latter, apart from Mugabe trying to get white people out, so I just went there to see it with my own eyes.  

Again I got visa on arrival, for 30 dollars this time. I doubted to visit the Falls also on the Zim side, but the 30 dollars for entry make me decide not to. A decision I would later regret for quite a while. I felt like moving on, trying to get to Bulawayo in about three days.

I got a sim card and dollars from the ATM in no time. Again, these things would cost me half a day in Central Africa.

The road was boring with just a couple of small hills and almost no villages. Just bush… People were still nice and happy to see me, but not everyone like in Zambia. Before coming to Zim, I decided not to compare to Zambian people, because I would probably not find any nicer people anymore in Africa.

I took the main road because I had about seven weeks left to reach Cape Town so I had to make some progress. Unfortunately the road was very uneventful. Apart from that I didn’t feel very strong. With the slight headwind, progress was rather slow. Villages were rare and with elephants around, I was happy to get to a mining village where some security guy set me up for the night. Next morning I noticed my lock was broken, but the quality being so poor, it was easy to cut it was a saw blade.

Next morning I still didn’t feel great and just when I left Hangwe, I saw a Thai cyclist that I had met in Livingstone. His pace was slower, but we both planned to get to Bulawayo in three days now. And actually the road was so boring that I was happy to travel with someone.

Sombad, ex-marine and (war)photographer, turned out to be a legend. He left Thailand in 2011 to cycle around the world during eight years of time. His bike got stolen in Kazakhstan, so he bought a new one. Then in Zambia he got hit by a truck forcing him to go back to Thailand to recover for a year. So basically he had just continued his journey from Lusaka.

We covered about 120 km a day through the bush. Luckily there was not a lot of traffic on this main road, but still so boring, I could have felt asleep. Every 25-50 km, there was a resting place where we spent quite a lot of time because it were the only places where we met people. Other than that, no villages just bush… People were very nice by the way, respectful, easygoing, caring and helping us continuing our journey.

Our main interest was having a cold beer at the end of the day, and we managed perfectly. Sombad having traveled so much, we could talk all night drinking beer and swapping stories. Like the one where he showed his Thai-boxing skills to some thieves on the border Iran-Iraq. Knowing that the guy is 57, it’s all very impressive.

We got to Bulawayo, the 2nd largest city of Zimbabwe. The Packer’s rest campsite was disappointing after Jolly Boys in Livingstone, but I only planned to stay for one day anyway. Zimbabwe is also quite expensive. Norwegians that we met here, told us that Harare is as expensive as Norway! In 2008 there was drought and also 10.000% inflation forcing them to change currency. Now using US dollars prices were more stable, but still expensive.

Anyway, Botswana lays at 200km from here, so off I go!
<![CDATA[From Zam to Zim (1)]]>Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:40:23 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/from-zam-to-zim-1 So I ended up flying from Kinshasa to Lubumbashi where I stayed with family of my friend in Kinshasa. The taxi drove through the broken streets of the local neighborhood where I would end up staying three nights. The family had been waiting with impatience and a prayer was made by the oldest daughter upon arrival. They showed me around, I drove the kids on the back of the bike through the narrow streets and I ended up searching parts for the family bicycle to get it back up and running.

Usually in urban neighborhoods, there is electricity and running water, but not in Congo. Primary school, although free of charge by law, is expensive for the families. And so on… The oldest son was doctor and his stories about people dying for the most stupid reasons were just ridiculous. Lack of education was showing in very rough ways. I noticed that after being in Africa for eight months I was getting mentally exhausted. All the time you wonder why things are the way they are if the government is so rich. I help where I can, but I’m not even sure if I would have been able to cross DRC mentally, apart from 2000 km of worst road ever.

They wanted me to stay forever, but after being stuck in Congo Brazza for quite a while, I couldn’t wait to hit the open road to South Africa. With my enthusiasm, I ended up crossing the border into Zambia the same day I left Lubumbashi. My colleagues for the day were men transporting hundreds of kg of charcoal on the bike. People were nice, but still somewhat loud as in Congo Brazzaville with the usual lack of respect from time to time.

What surprised me was how kind and helpful the police and immigration officers were. Just happy to see you, asking many questions out of curiosity. Soon enough, I was on my way to the 16th country of the trip: Zambia.

Welcome to Africa light, easy Africa. I just paid 50 dollars and they gave me the visa. Can you believe that???? This obviously is standard policy here, but after West and Central Africa, still a shock.

First welcome: very heavy rainfall. Rainy season wasn’t over yet. Just before it starts pouring rain, I talk to a guy who doesn’t have any other option really then to let me in when the rain starts. They are workers finishing of the house. I foolishly propose to go out and have a beer. Soon enough I would understand that most Zambians like their local beer and a lot of it. Totally wasted, they just managed to find the way back home where I hang the mosquito net off the bike, far away from their snoring. Welcome to Zambia, they kept telling me…

Anyway, another day, time to get to know a bit of Zambia. I’m cycling through the copperbelt region and every town is marked by big mines. Leaving Chingola, a car pulls up asking what the hell I’m doing cycling in Zambia. People here actually have manners and respect and I find it very enjoyable to talk to them. Julius and his friend are no exception and they end up inviting me to stay with them in Kitwe. Arriving there easily over the dual carriage way, there were many beers, a hot shower and bed waiting for me. Brilliant! What a difference to the lack of comfort I experienced so long.

Next day I get to Kabwe where I meet up with Belgian friends teaching there for three months. How awesome to hang out with friends that I could just trust and not some fake friends like in Brazzaville trying to get my money. I visited their school, but had to continue in order to meet them in Lusaka for the weekend.

With a slight tailwind I was flying towards the capital. I met a Chinese cyclist on the road with whom the speed plummeted, but Lusaka was near. I was looking forward to meet Spanish cyclist Javier Martinez with whom I was in touch already since Mali. He’s actually the one who crossed DRC during dry season and told me off for crossing it in the wet one. Apart from that, he’s just a legend having covered already 52000 km over 4 years time. And there was someone else at the campsite: John, a British biker, whom I had met in Bamako, Mali and Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. I look at him as my traveling dad and it was just absolutely brilliant to catch up over the T-bone barbeque.

With my Belgian friends coming to Lusaka, great times continued. Laying at the pool of the Kalimba crocodile farm drinking a local beer “Mosi” I just had to say “Life’s good!!!” It was Saterday night, so we obviously went out. First to a new shopping mall which I just hated. Everything is just to plastic, fake, artificial. So boring and uninteresting for me, I couldn’t enjoy it. Then we went to a local nightclub….party time! Always a good laugh and great time.

My friends had to go back teaching in Kabwe and I took the road to Victoria Falls.
<![CDATA[Terug naar Brazza en richting Zambië]]>Mon, 23 Feb 2015 20:32:47 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/terug-naar-brazza-en-richting-zambie Was het een tweede malaria of een opstoot van de laatste? Bij het verlaten van Pointe-Noire had ik opnieuw dezelfde symptomen als toen ik malaria had in Ghana. Zo had ik koud bij 35°C, krampen in de handen, snel verzuurde spieren, geen eetlust, maar ook geen energie. Met de brandende zon en hellingen was ik na 50 km echt volledig uitgeput. Het lukte maar niet een platte band te herstellen en na vijf pogingen besloot ik het traject naar Brazzaville terug te liften. En eerlijk gezegd vond ik dat niet zo erg, want ik had al genoeg tijd verloren met de hele Pointe-Noire grap.

Drie mannen die hun weekend in Dolisie gingen doorbrengen, namen me mee. We gingen uit en ze betaalden zelfs mijn hotelkamer! Eigenlijk wel frappant dat iedereen met een overheidsfunctie (zoals douanier e.d.) rijk is… Maar met steekpenningen mensen omkopen is nu eenmaal hoe het systeem hier werkt.

In Brazzaville zocht ik de auberge “Hippocampe” op. Olivier, de Fransman die het runt, heeft zelf de wereld rondgefietst en biedt nu aan reizigers gratis slaapplaats aan. Zo ontmoette ik er ook twee Britten, John en Steve, die per auto Afrika rondreden. Zo had ik eindelijk nog eens iemand om een deftige conversatie mee te voeren en om te overleggen hoe het vervolg van mijn reis er zou uitzien.

Ik zocht opnieuw de ambassade van Angola op, maar ook hier een negatief antwoord. “We geven hier nooit een visa aan toeristen.” In de veilige hoofdstad zocht ik met John nog een lokale nachtclub op. Altijd interessant om als enige blanke ergens binnen te komen. Ambiance verzekert!

De boot om de Congo rivier over te steken zou om 9u vertrekken, maar president Kabila had besloten zijn zaterdag op de rivier door te brengen en zo konden we de rivier pas tegen 14u over. Ik had een ‘fixer’, iemand die me met alle formaliteiten hielp, maar die leverde me alleen nog maar meer problemen op. Zo had ik één ticket voor de boot voor mij nodig en ook één voor de fiets. Toen de boot geladen werd, werd er in Lingala (de lokale taal) hevig gediscussieerd tussen mijn fixer en iemand van de boot. Ik begreep er helemaal niets van en dan vertrok de boot plots! Blijkbaar had m’n fixer geen tweede biljet gekocht. Ik haalde dan snel wat geld tevoorschijn en zo kon ik eindelijk na zes weken Congo verlaten. Het was een gemengd gevoel. Ik had er mooie herinneringen aan overgehouden, maar de problemen met de agressieve politie deden me er toch een middelvinger naar opsteken.

Aan de andere kant was de toon helemaal anders. Een aantal mannen wilden me een haventaks doen betalen, maar een agent wimpelde hen af. Wow! Een agent die hielp! Dat was al weer even geleden.

De formaliteiten verliepen vlot en ik werd welkom geheten in de Democratische Republiek Congo! Ik wisselde ondertussen nog geld met de eerlijkste geldwisselaar in lange tijd.

In Brazzaville had ik nog twee Nederlandse fotografen ontmoet. Eén ervan, Jeroen Swolfs, werkt al vijf jaar aan zijn project “Streets of the World” waarbij hij elke hoofdstad van de wereld wilt bezoeken en in beeld brengen.

In Kinshasa ontmoette ik Christ, hun fixer, die me bij hem uitnodigde. Met de fiets op het dak van de taxi nam ik de eerste indrukken van Kinshasa in me op. Wel acht rijstroken! Recentere auto’s, wat kasseien(!), grotere gebouwen en minder chaos.

Ik had eerst gedacht de grens over te steken en de stad snel uit te fietsen, maar met de lange wachttijd was dat moeilijk geworden. En maar goed ook! Want in Kinshasa was er echt wel wat te doen! Christ, een schilder, toonde me de academie van de schone kunsten waar ik meteen een potje basket speelde.

Daarnaast was er bv. een kunstcollectief waar elke zondagavond muziek gespeeld en gedanst wordt. Er waren veel expats. En we trokken een paar dagen op met Italianen die een project voor straatkinderen doen. Het was ook Christ zijn verjaardag. Redenen genoeg om enkele dagen in Kinshasa te blijven plakken.

Zo had ik ook de tijd om de tocht goed voor te bereiden. De 2500 km naar Lubumbashi vormden ongetwijfeld het grootste avontuur van de reis…

Bij het uitrijden van Kinshasa zocht ik nog een internetcafé op. Javier, de Spaanse fietser, had net zijn tocht afgewerkt en had me advies voor de doortocht van DR Congo doorgestuurd.

En dat was niet zo positief… Het grootste probleem dat zich opstelde was dat het regenseizoen eraan kwam. Hij had geluk de doortocht gemaakt te hebben in het één maand durende kleine droogseizoen. Ik informeerde me bij meerdere mensen die me vertelden dat het daar nu al heel hard regende en dat dat anderhalve maand zou duren. Javier zei dat zelfs in het droogseizoen een camion 10 dagen à 2 maanden kan doen over een traject van slechts 350 km. En dat er tijdens het regenseizoen helemaal niets zou kunnen passeren.

Toen dacht ik nog steeds om het grootste avontuur van m’n leven aan te vatten, maar hij vertelde me ook dat de trein onbetrouwbaar is (hij nam één trein die er 30 uur over deed om 28km te overbruggen). Als er dan ook nog geen auto’s of camions zouden passeren, bestond de kans dat ik helemaal vast zou komen te zitten. En over een onverhard traject van 2000 km is dat op z’n minst niet ideaal te noemen. En zonder telefoonontvangst zou het thuisfront vast niet meer slapen. Daarnaast vertelde hij me dat DR Congo eigenlijk ook niet veilig is. Hij had zelf niets meegemaakt, maar had toch veel bizarre, dronken mannen ontmoet.

Ik passeerde de luchthaven en vond dat ik genoeg redenen had om het vliegtuig naar Lubumbashi te nemen. Ik fietste terug naar Kinshasa en verbleef nog een nacht bij Christ. De volgende ochtend kocht ik een ticket om ’s avonds reeds te vliegen.

De fiets werd met wat karton en tape ingepakt. De maatschappij, Korongo, maakt deel uit van Brussels Airlines. De piloot was zelfs Belg!

In Lubumbashi verbleef ik bij familie van mijn vrienden in Kinshasa. Ze woonden in een volksbuurt dus zo zag ik toch nog een beetje de manier van leven in Congo. Ik bleef er twee dagen, kocht veel eten om samen een heerlijk avondmaal te maken (eindelijk nog eens patatten!). Ik herstelde ook nog de fiets, maar dankbaarheid kennen ze hier blijkbaar niet zo goed. Als je geeft, vragen ze telkens nog meer. Bij ons althans erg grof.

Daarnaast hoorde ik vele verhalen over hoe de mensen volledig aan hun lot worden overgelaten. En ik voelde hoe dat me mentaal echt uitputte. Telkens vraag je je af waarom het zo is, terwijl er zoveel rijkdom is. En ik ben niet onverschillig, maar ik kon het gewoon niet mee aanhoren. De zoon was dokter en het is ongeloofelijk hoeveel mensen hier sterven omwille van de domste, simpelste zaken.

Ik was alleszins erg opgelucht dat ik DRC niet per fiets doorkruist had. De familie vroeg me een week te blijven, maar na zo lang niet gereisd te hebben, kon ik niet wachten om eindelijk nog eens richting 't zuiden te fietsen. 's Ochtends kwam er nog een lokale fotograaf om onze ontmoeting vast te leggen.

En wat was ik blij terug op de baan te zijn! In m'n enthousiasme bereikte ik de grens reeds in de namiddag en maakte ik reeds de doorsteek naar Zambië. Visa on arrival! Dat was al van Gambia geleden! Het was eindelijk tijd voor gemakkelijke landen.

Het regenseizoen liet meteen van zich horen, en ik vond een schuilplaats bij twee arbeiders die een huis inrichten. Ik stelde voor om iets te gaan drinken, maar dat was niet zo'n goed idee want het bleken grote zatlappen te zijn en zo geraakte we pas laat terug.

De weg was goed en het schoot dan ook snel op. Mensen waren vriendelijker, gemanierd en hadden respect. Hier geen macho gedrag wat in de Congo's wel anders was...

Twee mannen nodigden me uit om bij hen te verblijven in Kitwe. Daar de nodige pintjes vooraleer luxueus ontvangen te worden. Ja, tijden waren veranderd!

Daarnaast had ik toevallig gezien dat Marijn, een schoolvriend, in Kabwe les aan het geven was. Super toevallig! Dat lag perfect op m'n route. Ik bleef nog een nacht bij een landbouwersfamilie die houtskool maakten vooraleer daar toe te komen.

Ik bezocht de school, zag Marijn les geven aan een groep van 50 studenten en speelde een potje korfbal (saaie sport). Het was gewoonweg heerlijk om nog eens met vrienden op te trekken na zo lang alleen onderweg te zijn.

Met een rugwindje geraakte ik vlot in Lusaka. Ik kwam nog een Chinese fietser tegen onderweg en we zochten de kampeerplek 'Wanderers' op. Javier, de Spanjaard, was daar aan het uitrusten en aan het herstellen van zijn tocht door DR Congo. En John, de Britse motard die ik eerst in Mali en dan in Burkina ontmoette, was er ook!!!

Marijn en zijn Belgische collega's kwamen naar Lusaka voor het weekend en we zochten samen het Reptile Park/ crocodile farm op waar ik voor de eerste keer grote krokodillen zag en er meteen ook van kon proeven. Er was ook een zwembad! Wat een leven...

Zoals alle Afrikaanse steden is er in Lusaka niet veel te zien, maar het is hier zeker moderner en ontwikkelder. Shoppingcenters zijn erg populair, maar ik haat het. Het is allemaal super fake, plastisch, onpersoonlijk en duur. Anyway, 's avonds gingen we nog uit wat altijd super is hier.

Zo blijf je gemakkelijk een paar dagen plakken in Lusaka. Tijd dus om een plan te maken voor de verdere reis. Eerst met Javier naar Malawi en dan richting het zuiden.

Foto's DR Congo:
En Zambia
<![CDATA[Papierwerk in Pointe-Noire]]>Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:52:08 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/papierwerk-in-pointe-noireAls ik in Brazzaville de immigratieservice opzoek om het visum te verlengen, kom ik in een chaos terecht. Een grote operatie tegen illegale buitenlanders is op komst en iedereen probeert snel zijn papieren in orde te krijgen. Na drie uur wachten vertelt de commandant me dat het enkel mogelijk is het visum voor één jaar te verlengen en dat het 200 euro kost. Dit is uiteraard absurd en beslis dan maar om snel de stad te verlaten. Eénmaal in de banlieu vind ik snel een camion die me voor de helft van het 700 km lange traject richting Pointe-Noire kan meenemen. 500 km daarvan zijn onverhard en er zijn vele files waar het één groot modderbad is. Na 120 km houden de militairen iedereen tegen en we slapen naast de camion.

De volgende dag geraken we niet veel verder en de chauffeur moet een andere kapotte camion trekken. Het schiet dus echt niet op en ik beslis een stukje te fietsen. De onverharde weg is geen lachertje, maar ik vind het heerlijk. Na een 10-tal km passeert een andere camion die me helemaal tot Point-Noire meeneemt! Er is plaats in de cabine, maar erg comfortabel is het er niet. Ongelooflijk hoe snel ze over de gedegradeerde weg rijden, we vliegen dan ook meermaals uit onze stoel.

Er zijn ontelbare controleposten van het leger, politie, douane en gendarmerie. Hun enige functie lijkt erin te bestaan geld af te troggelen van de chauffeurs. Ze spannen een lint en er moet telkens 1.5 tot 7.5 euro betaald worden. Zo zijn ze per rit 50 euro kwijt, wat hier uiteraard een pak geld is.

We bereiken PN om 2 uur ’s nachts, maar dat is niet vooraleer de politie me nogmaals problemen bezorgd. De vervaldatum van het visum is 19 januari, maar dat is slechts de datum vooraleer je het land moet binnen komen. Daarna heb je nog 30 dagen. Een zaklamp in m’n gezicht schijnend, probeert hij me ongemakkelijk te doen voelen. En wie ben ik om hem de regels aan te leren!

Ze moeten er niets van hebben en de toon wordt ook steeds agressiever. Hij beslist me in het gevang te steken en beveelt aan de chauffeur mij spullen te ontladen en te verkopen. Hij zet me in een hoekje en ik maak me klaar voor een nachtje cel. Buiten hoor ik hem tegen de chauffeur zeggen dat ik gelijk heb. Ze komen terug, de chauffeur heeft blijkbaar 4 euro betaald en de agent vertelt me dat ik geluk heb dat ik intelligent ben. De toon verandert en we kunnen de weg verder zetten.

Het is twee uur ’s nachts als we de stad bereiken en één van de helpers van de camion toont me een auberge.

De volgende dag er vroeg uit om de Angolese ambassade op te zoeken. Ik bereid eerst het dossier voor in een internetcafé, doe m’n beste kleren aan en stap vol goede moed de ambassade binnen.

De vele en complexe documenten maken er zeker geen eenvoudige procedure van. Visumaanvraag is enkel op dinsdag en donderdag dus keer ik de volgende dag terug. Ik word voorgesteld aan de verantwoordelijke en alles lijkt goed te gaan. Ik heb geen uitnodigingsbrief en geen enkel contact in het land, maar ze lijken me te willen helpen. Op de blog van een andere fietser las ik dat hij die documenten ook niet had, maar dat ze het visum toch gaven. Ik stapte dus met een goed gevoel buiten. Noch geen uur later volgde er echter een telefoontje dat de aanvraag geweigerd werd. Een reden was er niet.

Een ander probleem was dat mijn visum voor Congo de volgende dag verliep. Ik had dus gehoopt om snel het visum voor Angola te bemachtigen om zo via Cabinda het land te verlaten. De enige uitweg was richting DR Congo waar ik reeds het visum voor had, maar de grensovergang is ter hoogte van Brazzaville, waar ik nooit op tijd terug zou geraken. Ik leek dus echt vast te zitten in Pointe-Noire en  heel even dacht ik dat het het einde van de reis zou zijn.

Vliegen was enkel nog mogelijk richting Ethiopië of Parijs en kostte een fortuin. Daarnaast had ik uiteraard nog geen zin om de reis stop te zetten. Ik zocht dan ook het immigratiekantoor op en deed aanvraag voor het dure, één jaar geldige, visum voor Congo. Van al dat op en neer crossen was ik ongelooflijk uitgeput.

De volgende dag kon ik reeds om het visum en was ik opnieuw gerust gesteld. Er ging immers een grote operatie van start tegen buitenlanders dus zou ik gegarandeerd in de cel belanden mocht ik met een verlopen visum gereisd hebben. Dat zou me uiteraard veel meer miserie en geld gekost hebben dan het nieuwe visum. Eventjes dacht ik echt dat de reis tot een einde gekomen was, maar nu heb ik opnieuw de tijd om beetje per beetje een oplossing te vinden om de reis verder te zetten.

De aanvraag voor Angola zou ik echter niet zomaar laten vallen. Ik hoopte dat ze de aanvraag enkel geweigerd hadden, omdat m’n Congolees visum bijna vervallen was. De volgende maandag ging ik terug met een hotelboeking en het nieuwe Congolese visum, maar ik werd afgescheept. Nu ben ik boos op mezelf, omdat ik gewoon aanvaarde dat de chef me niet kon ontvangen en dat de receptioniste niet wist waarom ik geweigerd werd. Het is een veel te belangrijke zaak, om zomaar zonder duidelijk antwoord het consulaat te verlaten. Ik praatte nog lang met de bewakers die me meegaven een uitnodigingsbrief van de Belgische ambassade in Luanda, Angola te verkrijgen.

Ik contacteerde hen dan ook en ze leken behulpzaam. Ik wachtte echter een ganse dag op de brief zonder resultaat. Ze stuurden de aanvraag echter door naar andere mensen die me hopelijk een uitnodigingsbrief kunnen versturen.

Ondertussen werd ik opgebeld dat de Visa-kaart gebruikt werd en er voor 1600 euro gestolen werd. Gelukkig kon de aankoop nog geannuleerd worden! Ondertussen verveelde ik me ongelooflijk in een stad zonder enige activiteit. Alles stak dus wat tegen.

Een uitnodigingsbrief kwam niet, maar ik bracht toch nog een bezoek aan het consulaat. Na 5 uur wachten kon ik eindelijk de chef spreken die me vertelde niets voor me te kunnen doen. Hij leek me een betrouwbare man. Blijkbaar wordt elke aanvraag online naar Luanda opgestuurd waar dan beslist wordt of iemand al dan niet geautoriseerd is. Recent is er beslist dat het te gevaarlijk is om het land van noord naar zuid te doorkruisen. Dat slaat natuurlijk nergens op. Ze zijn bang dat mocht er iets gebeuren, Angola wederom negatief in het nieuws komt in Europa.

Ik keer nu dus terug richting Brazzaville, deze keer per fiets. Hopelijk krijg ik daar op de Angolese ambassade een ander antwoord. Ik had uiteraard eerst daar inlichtingen moeten vragen, maar met mijn bijna verlopen Congolese visum, had ik de stad snel verlaten. Daarnaast had een andere fietsreiziger heel gemakkelijk zijn visum in Pointe-Noire bemachtigd waardoor het me onnodig leek de ambassade in Brazzaville op te zoeken. Ach ja, we leren bij!



<![CDATA[CONGO]]>Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:17:25 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/congo Verslag van Franceville naar Brazzaville

Na drie dagen Franceville verlaat ik de campus, de studenten en m’n basketkameraden. Ik fiets “les hauts plateaux” binnen en het bos maakt plaats voor savanne. De grensregio is surreëel. Geen kat te bespeuren in dit uithoekje van de wereld. Een jaar geleden wist ik zelfs niet waar Gabon en Congo Brazzaville gesitueerd waren, en nu fietste ik door een niemandsland-achtige omgeving. 

Het is Kerstmis en als ik het grensdorpje Mbié bereik, roepen de immigratieofficieren, douaniers en dorpshoofd me prompt bij hen om het feest te vervolledigen. Er wordt tot een gat in de nacht gedanst en gedronken. De formaliteiten de volgende dag om het land binnen te komen, verlopen dan ook ontspannen met m’n nieuwgemaakte vrienden.

Er hangt een heerlijke, ontspannen sfeer in alle dorpjes op tweede Kerstdag. Mensen zijn aan het nafeesten en iedereen is in een goede bui. Misschien is de grootste uitdaging tijdens deze reis wel niet om enkel Zuid-Afrika te bereiken, maar om ook nog gelukkig te zijn tijdens de tocht. Je levert dergelijke zware inspanning elke dag en kent bijna geen comfort. Je weet wel dat je een hele mooie reis aan het maken bent, maar om er ook nog echt van te kunnen genieten, zoals ik die dag doe, dat is de kunst. Mensen zijn blij me te zien en geven me een ongelooflijk warm welkom. 

Veel toeristen komen hier niet, zoveel is duidelijk. Als ik in het eerste kleine stad wat spullen zoek, geraak ik echt nergens. Iedereen moet en zal mij eerst vanalles gevraagd hebben vooraleer ze me verder helpen. Na de heerlijke passage door dorpjes, verandert het gemoed wat. De aanblik van moeders, grootmoeders die soms over een afstand van 10 km 30 kg maniok versjouwen op de rug, maakt me triest. En dat terwijl de jonge, fitte kerels de hele dag niets doen of met hun brommertje van het ene dorpje naar het andere crossen. Daarnaast is er een prachtige visrijke rivier en velden zo ver je kunt kijken, maar toch zit iedereen op z’n lui gat. Buiten de vrouwen natuurlijk. De echte helden van Afrika!

De priester in Okoyo, een eerste kleine stadje, verkoopt ook sim-kaarten en ik kan er gelijk overnachten. Hij heeft Rwanda ontvlucht, te voet Zaïre doorkruist om in Congo in een burgeroorlog terecht te komen. Trots toont hij me de kerk dat hij beetje per beetje opgebouwd heeft.
Al peinzend over oplossingen en alle mogelijkheden dat er hier zijn, gaan de km’s snel voorbij. Daarnaast is er bij ons zoveel geldverkwisting en zoveel mensen die misschien wel iets willen doen, maar denken dat ze toch geen verschil kunnen maken.

Alle dorpjes dat ik passeer tonen dus geen enkele activiteit. Ik word eigenlijk echt triest bij het aanzien van zoveel potentieel en zo weinig activiteit. Als ik dan ook in een klein dorpje een man passeer die met lianen kleine stoeltjes maakt, ben ik zo verbaasd van iemand te zien die daadwerkelijk iets doet, dat ik halt hou. 

Later zie ik dat hij gehandicapt is, wat me alleen nog maar meer respect doet opbrengen voor hem, Mr. Mabé. De stoeltjes dat hij maakt verkoopt hij voor ongeveer 1.5 euro en daar moet hij zijn twee kinderen en vrouw mee onderhouden. Als enige in het dorp heeft hij nog een huisje bedekt met bladeren ipv golfplaten. Met z’n allen slapen ze in één kamertje waar net een bed inpast, de aarde waarmee de muren opgevuld zijn, valt eruit en er zitten gaten in het dak. Genoeg redenen om bij vrienden en familie wat geld in te zamelen om hem een deftig huis te bouwen.

De waterpomp is reeds vijf maanden kapot. Gelukkig hebben de Brazilianen een prachtig waterproject opgezet: in elk dorp in Congo zal een op zonne-energie aangedreven waterpomp geïnstalleerd worden. Niemand heeft echter zelfs nog maar de moeite gedaan om naar de kapotte pomp te kijken, dus zoek ik een moersleutel om een kijkje te nemen. De pomp doet een lange stang, die opgebouwd is uit stukken van telkens 3m, op en neer bewegen. Nu waren die stukken uit elkaar geschroefd. Met veel geluk kan ik ze terug in elkaar schroeven. Als we het geheel omhoog trekken, begint het hevig te trillen. Water!!! Ongeloofelijk gevoel. Maar toch geloof ik nog niet dat de pomp daadwerkelijk hersteld is. Een kerel blijft en blijft pompen en plots komt er een mooie stroom uit! Iedereen is extatisch en roept het hele dorp bijeen. Ik hoop ooit het filmpje te kunnen tonen. Met alle kinderen van het dorp banen we ons al dansend een weg richting dorpshoofd. Zonder twijfel de beste ervaring van de reis. 

Er volgt een erg zure start. Als ik in het dichtstbijzijnde stadje, Boundji, nagels e.d. inkoop om met de werken te kunnen beginnen, wordt ik door de politie gevraagd me te registeren. Nog maar eens worden mijn gegevens op een blaadje geschreven, waar later waarschijnlijk toch niets mee gedaan wordt. Deze keer is het anders. Ik moet betalen, 7.5 euro. Bij het aanhoren van dergelijke poging tot diefstal, spring ik recht en vraag ik m’n paspoort terug. Daardoor escaleert het echter een beetje. De agent komt me bedreigen, maakt zich klaar om me te arresteren, want als ik niet betaal, smijt hij me in het cachot. Verbaasd door dergelijke agressief gedrag, vraag ik hen te kalmeren en betaal ik. Blijkt het driemaal te betalen te zijn. Aan de immigratie, politie en gendarmerie. Het is net voor Nieuwjaar en ze zoeken waarschijnlijk wat drinkgeld. Wist ik toen wat ik nu weet, was ik gewoon kalm gebleven, had ik gevraagd de commissaris te spreken en had ik m’n geld gehouden. Als ik gewoon met de fiets gepasseerd was, was er waarschijnlijk ook niets gebeurd, maar omdat ik zei dat ik een project wou doen, dachten ze dat ik veel geld had, en wilden ze iets meepikken. Later ga ik naar het commissariaat waar ik de situatie aan de kapitein uitleg. Hij verdedigt zijn collega’s, maar buiten, onder ons, vertelt hij me dat hij ze zal heropvoeden. Heb ik natuurlijk niets aan. Misschien kan de Belgische ambassade een krachtiger signaal uitsturen.

Het drukt de motivatie om lang in de regio te blijven en ’s avonds vraag ik me af waar ik in godsnaam mee begonnen ben. De volgende dag zit het gemoed terug goed en kunnen de werken beginnen. Ik wordt echter meteen herinnerd aan het feit dat de modale Congolees liever lui dan moe is en een groot gebrek aan initiatief kent. Na in Gabon het restaurantje gebouwd te hebben, weet ik prima hoe te beginnen, maar ik wordt constant teruggefloten. Erg vervelend. “Attend d’abord, ça c’est aprés.” Demain, demain, demain,… Het zal altijd morgen gebeuren, maar het gebeurd nooit. Ik begin er dan maar gewoon aan, en uiteindelijk volgen ze wel. Het zou wel een week duren vooraleer ik het vertrouwen kreeg dat ik ook daadwerkelijk iets kon. Ik werd er bekend als ‘le bosseur’, die nooit moe wordt. Ja, het contrast met een bende luiaards die de hele dag onder een boom blijven zitten en commentaar geven, was groot. En daar kan ik nu eens echt niet tegen! Mensen die met veel te grote woorden praten, en in praktijk niets doen. Ik blijf er allemaal kalm bij. Ondertussen heb ik na zeven maanden in Afrika ook wel de gewoonte dat mensen me bekijken. En het is nu eenmaal hoe het hier is. Wie ben ik om hun manier van doen te ontkrachten? Gelukkig stelt Mr. Mabé me niet teleur en samen vormen we een goed team. Daarnaast vervolledigt een schrijnwerken ons en de werken schieten nu goed op. Na vier dagen staat de ‘ruwbouw’ er en we maken ons klaar om het nieuwe jaar al feestend in te zetten. Hier wordt trouwens de eerste januari gevierd. Het feest blijft drie dagen duren. Elk excuus is natuurlijk goed om niet te werken en zich lazarus te drinken. De derde dag wordt nog een groot feest als een lokale miljardair een koe, 20 bakken bier en 800l petroleum schenkt. Ik wordt aan hem voorgesteld wat me meteen de kans geeft om hem mijn idee om een bakkerij te beginnen in het dorp. “Si tu veux créer une activité dans le village, je suis avec toi.”

Mabé heeft immers een huis om af te werken, maar geen enkele activiteit om zijn leven voorgoed te verbeteren. Aangezien er geen bakkerij in de omgeving is en ze er niets anders dan maniok eten, lijkt een bakkerij een schot in de roos. 

De volgende dag zoek ik met een kostenraming de geldschieter op en hij belooft me de bakkerij te financieren.

Met de ervaring van het bouwen van het huis, zetten Mabé en ik de bakkerij zelf. Daarnaast is het vervoer van planken ed niet eenvoudig, maar m’n fiets stelt me niet teleur! 6m lange hardhouten planken, latten, waterbidons,… vormen allemaal geen probleem.

Ik verblijf er uiteindelijk meer dan twee weken. Het leven daar is uiteraard heel erg eenvoudig. De pot schaft 2 à 3-maal per dag maniok met maniokbladeren als saus en ’s avonds gaan we ons telkens wassen in de rivier.

Het visum laat me niet toe er oneindig lang te blijven en aangezien er een aantal bakkers in de omgeving wonen van wie Mabé het beroep kan leren, heb ik er vertrouwen in dat hij in de komende maand met de bakkerij kan beginnen.

Congo is totaal anders dan Gabon. Hier hebben savanne en vlakten de bovenhand en het is dan ook op het randje van het saaie. De 550 km naar Brazzaville worden dan ook in vier dagen gedaan. Ik verblijf wederom bij dorpshoofden, maar dat verloopt niet altijd van een leien dakje. 

Zo komt de politie plots opdagen als ik reeds geïnstalleerd ben in een dorpje voorbij Olombo. De president zou daar de volgende dag toekomen en de sous-prefet heeft bevolen dat ze me moeten meenemen naar het commissariaat. Er wordt directe taal gesproken en ze maken me duidelijk dat ik geen keuze heb. Er komen nog twee mannen toe van de immigratie en ze beginnen met de politie te discussiëren. Hun chefs zeggen allebei iets anders en het wordt een machtsstrijd. Ze staan oog in oog en het komt net niet tot een gevecht. Bende prutsers, hoe onprofessioneel. De politieagenten zijn in de meerderheid en ik volg dan maar gedwee hun bevelen. De toon verandert en ik moet nu snelsnel mijn boeltje bijeen rapen. Ik voel me behandeld als een terrorist die zeker en vast een aanslag op de president zou plegen. Ze konden nu toch ook gewoon mijn bagage controleren, zien dat ik geen enkele bedreiging vorm en me gerust laten? Dommeriken. Ze gaven me geen enkele kans om hun bevel in vraag te stellen. Ze keren terug als overwinnaars en vertellen trots hoe ze die van immigratie te sterk afwaren. Ze betalen me een kamer in een auberge, maar ze moeten niet denken dat ze me gastvrijheid aangeboden hebben! Ondanks de 140 km in de benen kunnen ze het niet laten me tot 22u lastig te vallen met vragen en om elke pagina van het paspoort te kopiëren. Het bewijst aan de andere kant ook wel dat toerisme hier onbestaande is en dat ze niet weten hoe ermee om te gaan. Toen ik het land binnenkwam vertelden ze me dat toeristen hier een open weg hebben, maar het werd nu wel duidelijk dat dat niet klopt. 

Tijdens de tocht passeer ik echter nog één andere reiziger, dat was weer even geleden! Hans, een Oostenrijker, plant in een 8-tal weken van Namibië naar huis te rijden. Hij geeft me de kaart van Angola, wat een prachtig geschenk!

Met een laatste lange dag kom ik in de hoofdstad aan. Ik heb er een contact, maar die valt niet te bereiken. Ik zoek dan maar een auberge op. Gelukkig maak ik er snel nieuwe vrienden en we kijken samen de eerste match van de Afrika cup: Guinee equatoriaal tegen Congo. Na het gelijkspel komt iedereen op straat en komt het verkeer nog meer vast te zitten dan anders.
Hier moet ik enkel het Congolees visum verlengen om dan de weg richting Pointe Noire verder te zetten. Daar kan ik hopelijk het visum voor Angola bemachtigen!


<![CDATA[On est tous ensemble (Gabon)]]>Wed, 24 Dec 2014 16:18:39 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/on-est-tous-ensemble-gabonNa een lange periode van radiostilte eindelijk nog eens nieuws…
Om naar Gabon te vliegen moest er eerst naar Lomé terug gefietst worden. Deze keer zou ik gewoon de kust volgen. Twee landen doorkruisen in evenveel dagen, niet mis hé!
Ik stopte op identiek dezelfde plaatsjes waar ik met Anne ook gepauzeerd had. Het alleen zijn viel me redelijk zwaar en het zou even wennen zijn vooraleer ik terug kon genieten van alleen onderweg te zijn.
In Cotonou had ik een fietser van de nationale ploeg ontmoet die me in de onoverzichtelijke stad hielp wat fietsonderdelen te vinden. Dichtbij de grens Togo/ Benin woonde een andere fietser die me ontving. Ondanks deel te nemen in internationale wedstrijden hadden deze gasten oude, versleten fietsen waar geen reservestukken voor te vinden zijn.
In Lomé bleek het pakketje met spullen voor de benzinebrander nog niet toegekomen te zijn. Na vele bezoekjes aan het postkantoor legde ik me erbij neer dat het ofwel nog niet aangekomen ofwel onvindbaar was in Lomé. Ach ja, met de alcoholbrander dat ik fabriceerde, trek ik m’n plan wel.
Na in Cotonou het visum voor de Republiek van Congo (Brazzaville) bemachtigd te hebben, probeerde ik in Lomé dat van de Democratische Republiek van Congo (Kinshasa) aan te vragen. De ambassade vinden duurde een volledige dag. Zoals altijd zijn de nummers en adressen op het internet foutief. Ik had een bewijs van residentie in Togo nodig, maar dat werd simpelweg voor 15 euro van de politie gekocht. Daarnaast was de ambtenaar wel behulpzaam, maar was het allemaal wat louche. Zo verliep het meeste van de aanvraag buiten de ambassade en viste hij overduidelijk voor een serieuze fooi.
Verbleven deed ik bij Remy, een couchsurfing host. Hij had het echter druk en ik zat nog steeds veel alleen. De laatste maand voelde ik me gevangen, ik keek enorm uit om de reis met een open weg (met drie visums reeds in de pocket) verder te zetten.
Het vliegtuig nemen was erg eenvoudig. Ik pakte alle fietstassen samen in en de fiets werd in de luchthaven met karton en plastiek goed ingepakt. De 7 kg overgewicht kostten me slechts 15 euro.
En dan Gabon! Toch raar om in een halve dag twee grote landen te skippen. Ik had er zin in! Eventjes dacht ik dat ik in Frankrijk geland was. Dezelfde wegen, voetpaden, verkeersborden,… En geen brommers! Na steden als Cotonou en Bamako een wereld van verschil.
Via via had ik in Libreville een adres verkregen om te verblijven. Ik kon m’n ogen niet geloven toen ik eraan kwam! Céline en haar man Jean-Pierre woonden reeds 30 jaar in Gabon en hebben zich prachtig geïnstalleerd. Ik kon in een tweede, iets kleiner huisje verblijven achteraan de tuin, met zicht op zee. Wat een luxe! Het duurde een hele poos vooraleer ik me aan de Europese levensstijl had aangepast, na West-Afrika was dit echt een andere wereld. 
Jean-Pierre nam me mee naar het motocross parcours waar hij zich uitleefde met zijn crosswagentje. Als passagier ging ik een aantal rondjes mee. Een dag om niet te vergeten!
En dan kon het avontuur herbeginnen! Erg lang zou ik echter niet reizen. Op het einde van de eerste fietsdag passeerde ik een Belgische taverne! Bibi, de uitbaatster, was immers getrouwd met een Belgische man. De volgende dag nam ze me mee het bos in, maar door een aantal boskappers zagen we geen dieren.
Daarnaast wou de dochter een restaurantje beginnen niet veel verder. Na lang gereisd te hebben, had ik erg veel zin om wat te werken en iets te bouwen, om iets te creëren ipv zo maar wat rond te fietsen. En aangezien ik geen half werk wou doen, bleef ik er een week. Het hoofdgebouwtje stond er, ik wou het terras maken en de keuken inrichten. Eerst moest veel aarde weggekapt worden, waarna begonnen kon worden met de constructie. Hier geen meter, waterpas,… Enkel een hamer, nagels en een zaag. Super om al doende wat ervaring op te doen, het zou wel eens een opleiding houtbewerking kunnen zijn na deze reis.
Hen verlaten was natuurlijk niet gemakkelijk. Alhoewel ik best al veel gereisd heb, en mensen ontmoeten en achterlaten een elementair onderdeel is van het reizen, ben ik er echt niet goed in. Maar dat vind ik juist ook wel terug mooi. Dat je bv ergens slechts één nacht blijft waardoor die familie deel uitmaakt van je reis. Maar als je ergens langer blijft dat ze deel uitmaken van je leven. Ik had het eerder met de vissers in Thailand en in een dorpje in Kalimantan, Indonesië. Heerlijk om zo te reizen: niets plannen en gewoon langer blijven als je er een goed gevoel bij hebt.
Snel werd duidelijk dat Gabon me veel zweet zou kosten. De ene klim na de ander, vaak steil. Ik steek totaal onverwacht de evenaar over en verblijf bij het dorpshoofd. Gabon blijkt één groot bos te zijn. Al snel zie ik de eerste aapjes en langs de weg wordt allerlei bushmeat verkocht.
Na nog een dagje klimmen over een perfecte asfaltweg is het tijd voor de “Route Economique”. Een gedegradeerde 300 km lange onverharde weg. Er zijn weinig dorpjes en aangezien wildkamperen hier echt geen goed idee is (panthers en olifanten) houd ik soms vroegtijdig halt. Overal waar ik kom, vind ik meteen een slaapplaats. De weg is afmattend, maar prachtig. Er is amper verkeer (niet moeilijk met slechts 1.5 miljoen inwoners), apen geven me een ongelofelijk spektakel door van de ene boom in de andere te springen en iedereen die me passeert lijkt deel uit te maken van m’n Gabonese fanclub.
Verder blijkt traditie en ceremonies erg belangrijk te zijn in Gabon. Het is nog maar 11u als ik in Ayem toekom waar het dorpshoofd me uitnodigt om ’s avonds hun ceremonie bij te wonen. Iedereen neemt er ‘bois sacré’, oftewel een natuurlijke drug waarmee je het verleden en toekomst ziet. Ze verwachten dat ik het ook neem, maar laat het toch aan me voorbij gaan. De ceremonie duurt de volledige nacht en alhoewel ik vereerd ben hun traditie te zien, is m’n ogen open houden de grootste opdracht.
Drie platte banden later sta ik in Lopé, vanwaar een reusachtig nationaal park bezocht kan worden. Het is al 17u als ik het plaatsje nader, en dat is ook wanneer de olifanten soms op de weg komen. Ik rijd dan ook met de laatste platte band tot de ingang van het park, waar de conservator me laat kamperen.
Ik maak met een gids een kleine wandeling in het park om wilde buffels te zien. Later als ik wil vertrekken, ontmoet ik een Nederlands gezin, dat me uitnodigt met hen een safari te maken. Ik ben hen er eeuwig dankbaar voor, want we zagen vier groepjes olifanten! Ongetwijfeld één van de mooiste momenten van de reis.
Dan is het tijd om wat meer afstand te overbruggen en in twee dagen werk ik de route economique af. De slaapziekte gevende Tsé-Tsé vliegen laten me geen ogenblik met rust, maar prikken gelukkig nooit.
Veel gemakkelijker wordt het niet op de asfaltweg. Er moet serieus geklommen worden. Het gaat constant over steile, 10 procent, hellingen op en af en het kwik stijgt tot 40 graden.
Nog eens twee dagen later kom ik in Franceville aan, maar aangezien Gabon erg duur is (vaak driedubbel van West-Afrika) wil ik geen hotel opzoeken. In een bar ontmoet ik echter universiteitsstudenten die me meenemen naar de campus. We gaan nog uit en keren terug wanneer de moslims hun eerste gebed van de dag afgewerkt hebben.

Op naar Congo!

<![CDATA[Gabon]]>Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:53:10 GMThttp://cyclographer.weebly.com/blog/gabon In afwachting van de tekst hier alvast het fotoalbum van Gabon. Ik beleef een super avontuur hier!